The mere thought of getting braces as a child can be a scary and confidence-diminishing event in their lives. What will my friends think? How will I look and how long do I have to wear them? A plethora of questions cross a child’s mind from the get-go. Invisalign to the rescue. While traditional metal braces seem to be the most popular for young children when their teeth need straightening, Invisalign might be a better option.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an alternative to wire braces that uses transparent, incremental aligners to adjust teeth. The aligners are removable and virtually invisible, which means a child can straighten their teeth without anyone knowing; and can still eat and drink what they want. This is music to a child’s ears! Especially those who are self-conscious about their smiles and want to ‘fit in’ with their friends.
Questions Children Might Ask
- Do they hurt? Some people might feel discomfort while others are immune. If there are any sharp or rough edges during the fitting, your dentist will file them down to ensure their comfort is optimal.
- How long does it take before I see results? It usually takes two to three months for most patients to notice results from clear aligners.
- What to do about social situations? Invisalign can affect a child’s speech, causing a slight lisp. The more they speak with their clear aligners intact, the more they adjust. The lisp should go away after a few days.
- What can I eat? Your dentist will encourage your child to only drink water when their aligners are in, and it’s a good idea to drink a lot of it, as the aligners in their mouths might possibly dry out the insides of the mouth. As far as food is concerned, only when a child removes their Invisalign trays from their mouth can they eat a normal diet.
- How do I care for my teeth? It’s important to continue brushing and flossing after each time any food is eaten and before re-inserting the aligners. While it might be tempting to skip this step, with Invisalign trays on, the teeth are soaking in whatever is on them. An advantage to having aligner trays over metal braces is better hygiene. Caring for the teeth before placing the aligners in your child’s mouth is a vital step.
- Can I kiss my parents goodnight? Of course! It may feel awkward for a few days until they get accustomed to wearing Invisalign, but over time, it’s these simple gestures that truly show the gratitude for the parents and how they gave your smile a second chance.
How Long Does My Child Need To Wear Invisalign?
As with traditional metal braces, the length of time your child will be in treatment with Invisalign is determined by the complexity of the orthodontic problem. Oftentimes, patients can be treated successfully between 9-18 months. For very young children who have a propensity to remove the aligners due to discomfort, or forgetting to put the aligners back in after every meal, many dentists will recommend traditional braces instead. It depends on the age, the activity level of the child, and the severity of the teeth that need to be straightened.
Because Dr. Grussmark is an experienced Orthodontic specialist with over 20,000 cases treated in the Brickell, FL area, he will ensure your child, no matter the age, receives the utmost care. The benefits of Invisalign far outweigh the concerns. To give you, as a parent, peace of mind and a stress-free method for enhancing your child’s smile, Dr. Grussmark, and his caring team provide top-notch treatment. You’ll leave our center feeling as if the spring in your child’s step has returned. There’s no match for confidence when it comes to a child’s perfect smile. We’re ready for you!