Discover the Best Orthodontic Solution For You
For years, traditional metal braces were the only treatment for straightening teeth. Advances in dental technology have created additional orthodontic options, such as Invisalign® clear aligners. Before committing to a treatment plan, you should learn about your choices and decide what’s best for you.
Our Invisalign Miami orthodontist, Dr. Stephen Grussmark, will help determine which orthodontic appliance best suits your needs. Keep reading to learn more about the difference between Invisalign and traditional metal braces.
Invisalign vs. Traditional Braces
When it comes to choosing between Invisalign® and braces for orthodontic treatment, the question of which option is better often arises. Both Invisalign® and braces have their unique advantages and considerations. It’s best to fully understand the treatments before making a decision.
Invisalign®: A Discreet and Convenient Option
Invisalign® is a revolutionary orthodontic treatment that uses clear aligners to gradually shift teeth into their desired position. Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign® aligners are virtually invisible, allowing you to straighten your teeth discreetly. They are made of smooth, comfortable plastic and are custom-designed to fit snugly over your teeth.
How Does Invisalign® Work?
Invisalign® works through a series of custom-made aligners that are changed every few weeks. Each aligner applies gentle pressure on specific teeth, gradually moving them into alignment. Dr. Grussmark, an experienced orthodontist in Brickell, FL, will design a personalized treatment plan tailored to your unique needs and goals.
The Benefits of Invisalign®
There are several advantages of Invisalign, such as:
- Discreet Appearance: Invisalign® aligners are virtually invisible, making them an excellent choice for individuals who prefer discreet treatment. You can confidently smile throughout your orthodontic journey.
- Comfort: The smooth plastic material of Invisalign® aligners eliminates the discomfort associated with metal brackets and wires. There are no sharp edges to irritate your gums or cheeks.
- Minimal Maintenance: Invisalign® aligners are easy to clean and maintain. Simply brush them gently with a toothbrush and rinse them under lukewarm water.
Braces: Tried and True Orthodontic Solution
Braces have been a staple in orthodontics for decades, and they continue to be a highly effective and popular choice for straightening teeth. Braces consist of metal brackets bonded to the teeth and connected by archwires, which are adjusted periodically to exert pressure and gradually align the teeth.
How Do Braces Work?
Braces work by applying continuous pressure to the teeth, which moves them into their proper position. Dr. Grussmark, an experienced orthodontist in Brickell, FL, will customize the braces to fit your teeth and provide the most effective treatment.
The Advantages of Braces
There are unique benefits to braces, such as:
- Effective for Complex Cases: Braces are exceptionally versatile and can address complex orthodontic issues, including severe overcrowding, misalignments, and jaw discrepancies. They provide precise control over tooth movement, making them an ideal choice for challenging cases.
- Predictable Results: Braces have a long track record of delivering predictable and successful outcomes. With regular adjustments by Dr. Grussmark, your progress can be carefully monitored, ensuring that your teeth are moving in the desired direction.
- No Compliance Concerns: Unlike Invisalign®, braces are fixed onto your teeth and cannot be removed. This eliminates any concerns about compliance or the possibility of forgetting to wear aligners for the recommended duration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Invisalign as effective as braces?
Both Invisalign® and braces are effective orthodontic treatments, but their effectiveness can depend on the specific dental condition being addressed. Invisalign® can effectively treat a variety of mild to moderate orthodontic issues, such as crowding, spacing, and bite problems. For more complex cases, braces may provide greater control and be more effective.
Can I take my braces off and get Invisalign?
In most cases, it’s not possible to simply remove braces and switch to Invisalign®. This is because braces involve brackets directly bonded to the teeth, and removing them before treatment is finished can cause damage. Your orthodontist can assess your progress with braces and discuss whether it may be feasible to transition to Invisalign® once your treatment with braces is complete.
Can you wear Invisalign following treatment with braces?
Yes, it is possible to wear Invisalign® following treatment with braces. This approach, known as a “refinement phase,” allows for additional adjustments and fine-tuning of the teeth’s alignment using clear aligners. Your orthodontist will determine if a refinement phase with Invisalign® is necessary to achieve your desired results after completing treatment with braces.
Are braces more affordable than Invisalign?
In general, braces tend to be more affordable than Invisalign®. The exact cost of orthodontic treatment can vary depending on several factors, including the complexity of the case, the duration of treatment, and the specific fees charged by the orthodontist.
Visit Dr. Grussmark for Friendly, Reliable Orthodontic Care
When you visit our Brickell dental office, Dr. Grussmark will be happy to explain your options in detail and help you develop a treatment plan that fits your needs. He’s helped numerous patients in Miami Beach, Coral Gables, and Key Biscayne achieve their dream smiles with patient-oriented orthodontic care.
Call our orthodontic dental office in Brickell, FL, at 786-563-4973 to schedule a free consultation today. You can also book your appointment with our Miami Invisalign specialist by filling out our contact form.