Eat Without Restrictions
One of the primary drawbacks of traditional braces is that they limit the meals you can eat. You have to avoid tough and sticky foods that can damage your brackets or get trapped in the metal wires.
Invisalign aligners are removable and can be easily taken out before meals, allowing you to enjoy all your favorite foods. Thanks to Invisalign, you can enjoy eating without restrictions and still achieve the healthy smile you desire.
Sensible Diet and Beverage Tips
Although you can still have all your favorite foods and beverages with Invisalign, there are certain steps you’ll want to take to protect your aligners:
- Never eat anything while wearing your aligners — this can result in permanent damage.
- Don’t drink any beverage other than water while wearing your aligners — Hot beverages can warp them, and drinks such as coffee, tea, juice, or wine will stain them.
- Brush your teeth and floss before reapplying your aligners after meals — This will help you avoid staining them, or getting bacteria trapped under your trays. Your aligners will still work when they’re stained, but they’ll be highly noticeable, negating one of the biggest benefits of Invisalign care.
- Wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours per day — This leaves you less time for snacking, so it’s a good idea to carefully plan your meals and make sure you get enough nutrition every day.
Foods and Habits to Consider Avoiding
As long as you remove your aligners before meals, there are no rules preventing you from eating anything you want with Invisalign. However, there are a few foods and habits that are bad for your teeth which you may want to avoid, as they can negatively impact your new smile.
Some of these include:
- Gum — Chewing gum is not good for your oral health in general. It leaves sticky residue on your teeth, and the constant chewing can alter your bite.
- Teeth stainers — Foods and beverages such as coffee, red wine, soda, beets, pomegranates, and blueberries can stain your teeth and damage your smile.
- Tobacco — Smoking or chewing tobacco can rot your teeth, in addition to increasing your risk for cancer, heart attacks, and a number of other serious health complications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you drink alcohol while wearing Invisalign?
Yes, you can drink alcohol during your Invisalign treatment as long as you remove your aligners beforehand. You have to be especially careful when brushing your teeth after drinking alcohol because it can be sticky, sugary, and dark beverages can stain your teeth as well as your aligners.
Keep in mind that you need to wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours a day. This means you’ll want to limit how long you’re drinking so it doesn’t impact your treatment plan.
What are the best foods to eat with Invisalign?
The best foods to eat during your Invisalign treatment are foods that nourish your body and support your oral hygiene. These include:
- Fruit & Vegetables: Crunchy textures like those of apples and carrots can help your mouth clear away bacteria by stimulating the production of more saliva.
- Berries: Though berries can stain your teeth, they’re also packed with vitamins and minerals. They can also reduce the amount of plaque that builds up on your teeth – just make sure you thoroughly clean your teeth before placing your aligner back in.
- Dairy products: Cheese and yogurt are full of calcium, healthy fats, and proteins that are nourishing to your body. They also help to raise the pH of your mouth, which helps keep harmful bacteria from making a home.
Remember to always remove your aligners before eating or drinking, as well as cleaning your teeth before putting them back in.
Ask Dr. Grussmark About Eating with Invisalign
If you have any questions about managing your meals during Invisalign treatment, call our office in Brickell at 786-563-4973 and schedule a free consultation with Dr. Grussmark today.