Eat Without Restrictions
One of the primary drawbacks of traditional braces is that they limit the meals you can eat. You have to avoid tough and sticky foods that can damage your brackets or get trapped in the metal wires.
Invisalign aligners are removable and can be easily taken out before meals, allowing you to enjoy all your favorite foods. Thanks to Invisalign, you can enjoy eating without restrictions and still achieve the healthy smile you desire.
Sensible Diet and Beverage Tips
Although you can still have all your favorite foods and beverages with Invisalign, there are certain steps you’ll want to take to protect your aligners:
- Never eat anything while wearing your aligners — this can result in permanent damage.
- Don’t drink any beverage other than water while wearing your aligners — Hot beverages can warp them, and drinks such as coffee, tea, juice, or wine will stain them.
- Brush your teeth and floss before reapplying your aligners after meals — This will help you avoid staining them, or getting bacteria trapped under your trays. Your aligners will still work when they’re stained, but they’ll be highly noticeable, negating one of the biggest benefits of Invisalign care.
- Wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours per day — This leaves you less time for snacking, so it’s a good idea to carefully plan your meals and make sure you get enough nutrition every day.
Foods and Habits to Consider Avoiding
As long as you remove your aligners before meals, there are no rules preventing you from eating anything you want with Invisalign. However, there are a few foods and habits that are bad for your teeth which you may want to avoid, as they can negatively impact your new smile.
Some of these include:
- Gum — Chewing gum is not good for your oral health in general. It leaves sticky residue on your teeth, and the constant chewing can alter your bite.
- Teeth stainers — Foods and beverages such as coffee, red wine, soda, beets, pomegranates, and blueberries can stain your teeth and damage your smile.
- Tobacco — Smoking or chewing tobacco can rot your teeth, in addition to increasing your risk for cancer, heart attacks, and a number of other serious health complications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you drink alcohol while wearing Invisalign?
You can drink alcohol during your Invisalign treatment as long as you remove your aligners beforehand. However, it’s essential to brush your teeth carefully afterward. Alcohol is sticky, sugary, and could stain your teeth and aligners.
Keep in mind that you need to wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours each day. This means you should limit how long you’re drinking so it doesn’t impact your treatment plan.
Can I drink carbonated water while wearing Invisalign aligners?
While plain water is best, carbonated water is fine to drink with aligners every once in a while. Water with carbonation won’t damage your aligners, but its acidity can still damage your teeth’s enamel.
Carbonated water isn’t as acidic as soda or other carbonated drinks, but drinking it in excess amounts could put your teeth at risk for cavities. Properly clean your mouth and aligners if you drink anything other than plain water.
Can I chew gum while wearing my aligners?
You should remove your aligners when eating or drinking anything but plain water. Chewing gum can become stuck in your aligners, and can be difficult to remove. This could cause damage to your aligners, setting back your treatment significantly. When not wearing your aligners, it’s best to chew sugar-free gum to avoid cavities.
What are the best foods to eat with Invisalign?
The best foods to eat during your Invisalign treatment are ones that nourish your body and support your oral hygiene. These include:
- Fruit & Vegetables: Crunchy textures like those of apples and carrots can help your mouth eliminate bacteria by stimulating the production of saliva.
- Berries: Though berries can stain your teeth, they’re also packed with vitamins and minerals. Berries can also reduce the amount of plaque that builds up on your teeth. Make sure you thoroughly clean your teeth before placing your aligner back in to prevent staining.
- Dairy Products: Cheese and yogurt are full of calcium, healthy fats, and proteins that are nourishing to your body. They also help raise the pH of your mouth, which helps keep harmful bacteria from gathering.
Remember to always remove your aligners before eating or drinking. You should also rinse your teeth before putting your aligners back in.
Ask Dr. Grussmark About Eating with Invisalign
If you have any questions about managing your meals during Invisalign treatment, call our office in Brickell at 786-563-4973 and schedule a free consultation with Dr. Grussmark today.